Most of my senior-citizen family members have received some version of Meals-on-Wheels over the years. Kindergartners at Trinity Episcopal School take turns delivering meals-0n-wheels via the Charlotte program "Friendship Trays." Since I am not a "strong" driver, I avoided being a parent helper on this activity. However, once I couldn't get out of it any longer, I found that I really enjoyed it.
Friendship Trays delivers about 750 meals a day, Monday to Friday, to elderly, handicapped or convalescing people. Volunteers do most of the work, especially delivery. The current gas shortage forced Friendship Trays to double-deliver one day, but they kept going! Volunteers begin their routes between 10:30 and noon, and the routes take about 1 1/2 hours to complete.
Last year, I called Lani Lawrence, Volunteer Coordinator at Friendship Trays (704-333-9229 or llawrence@friendshiptrays.org), and asked to be put on the list as a "substitute driver" on Fridays. Lani calls every couple of weeks to see if I can help out, and if I can, I do. I show up at the Friendship Trays center just off of Remount Road with an insulated bag or cooler. I check the white board to see to which route number I've been assigned (Lani tries to give substitutes easy, convenient routes). I usually take a look at the big map on the wall to see the route, too. I reach into the big walk-in cooler for my bag of lunches. I go over to the volunteer in charge of "hot" meals--which are now quick-chilled--and he or she pulls the meals for me according to the codes on the list (meals are tailored to needs like diabetes or even "no squash"). I grab a juice or milk for each person and I'm off.
The route is VERY detailed in its directions from one house to the next. The regular drivers provide GREAT hints and helps, all of which are printed on the list ("the driveway of this house can be hard to back out of, so park on XX Street next to the house and you'll be all set to go to your next stop").
Driving around strange neighborhoods that look nothing like Myers Park can be a bit daunting, but you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is. Just like your neighborhood, most people are at work. Just like your neighborhood, people will call out hello and I've even been blessed by a neighbor as I delivered a meal! Neighbors have also told me when someone on the route is away or in the hospital (sometimes the message doesn't get to Friendship Trays), so I call in the update.
Many people have coolers out in front of their doors where you leave their meals if they aren't home. In fact, they have to have a cooler or you can't leave it--company rules. Most people are at home, and you exchange a friendly "hello" and "thanks" with them as you drop off their meals (my big fear was that they would look at the meal and say "Oh no, not Salisbury Steak!" or something like that--that has yet to happen).
The whole process takes less than 1 1/2 hours. And then you get to feel good for the rest of the day.
To Do: Consider being a driver for Friendship Trays. Click here.
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment