Lately, I've been trying to use the library instead of the bookstore. After I read the NY Times Book Review on Sunday, I hop onto the library website (PLCMC web site) and search the card catalog for books that looked interesting. I can reserve the books and have them delivered to a convenient branch. The library calls me when they come in.
Also, if you are voting early you may be voting at a library location. Voting (and parking) has been so busy at the Morrocroft branch that the library has big signs posted suggesting that you come before 11 a.m. if you actually want to use the library for books!
When I go into the main library uptown these days, I notice many homeless people around. Of course I can't find the link now, but I remember reading an article in the Charlotte Observer about homeless people frequenting the library more often to escape the extreme temperatures and also to have something interesting and worthwhile to do.
Finally, many of you have probably killed an afternoon or two with your children at Imaginon uptown, using the computers, reading the books, checking out the exhibits, to say nothing of the performances in the theaters.
In short, whether your interests are economic, social, or cultural, the library probably plays some part in your life. These meetings are an opportunity to share your thoughts about how the library can continue to expand its relevance in the community and in your daily activities.
Here are the dates and locations of the meetings:
- Saturday, Nov. 1, 9-10 a.m., Carmel Library, 6624 Walsh Blvd., (704) 416-3400
- Saturday, Nov. 1, 12-1 p.m., Mint Hill Library, 6840 Matthews-Mint Hill Road, (704) 416-5200
- Monday, Nov. 3, 7-8 p.m., Independence Regional Library, 6000 Conference Drive, (704) 416-4800
- Wednesday, Nov. 5, 7:30-8:30 p.m., Beatties Ford Road Library, 2412 Beatties Ford Road, (704) 416-3000
- Thursday, Nov. 6, 7-8 p.m., North County Regional Library, 16500 Holly Crest Lane, Huntersville, (704) 416-6000
No comments:
Post a Comment