I decided not to focus on a specific nonprofit organization today, but instead to suggest that you think about what gifts you can offer. Last week I was "volunteered" to help with the Oyster Roast at Bo & Ellie's school. You should know that I do not like oysters and have nothing to do with this event. However, I DO love to make posters. And I can make posters for anything! I love this kind of volunteer activity because it is a one-time deal. Give me some posterboard and a BIG magic marker and I'm in heaven.
Another volunteer project I have taken on is providing snacks for the weekly teacher meetings. This speaks to my heart because I LOVE to bake but really, I don't need any more cookies and brownies sitting around my house. I can make the treats, then pass them on! (And I get reimbursed, too.) Everybody wins.
As I was typing this, I got a phone call from a minister inviting me to a Christian Education conference. This fit so perfectly into this blog entry, because you should know that I NEVER teach Sunday School. I have zero gifts in the teaching-children department. However, she had invited me because I am--and I quote--"a good schmoozer" and thought I would be able to make some contacts for her! As it turns out, I do know several of the speakers (it's a small, small world) so I WILL be able to help! You just never know which gifts are going to come in handy...
Anyway. If you are new to an organization and looking to get involved, think about what YOU can offer. Perhaps you are a great talker, or often go grocery shopping, or play the piano or walk your dogs every day. Some of the most rewarding moments are the simplest. Bring a cup of tea over to an elderly neighbor and have a chat. Volunteer to play the piano for a Christmas carol singalong. Deliver neighborhood flyers while you walk your dog. Call a neighbor with a new baby to see if you can pick up groceries for her.
Online, I found a "Spiritual Gifts" test that lets you "discern" (if that isn't a church word, I don't know what is) what your strengths are. Yes, it is technically a questionnaire to help you figure out what to do for your church, but I think it highlights strengths that will help you in civic volunteer areas, too. This is from the United Methodist Church and the test can be found here.
To Do: Consider what your strengths are and how you can put them to use in volunteer positions.
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is a really neat blog! Thank you for sharing it with me! I'm going to take that little quiz you linked your post to. I will let you know what my gifts are. Then again - I'm not so sure........you won't advertise them will you? :) Sal
Post a Comment