Thursday, October 30, 2008

Get out the vote

I received an email yesterday from Bo's piano teacher telling me about an Obama rally at Queens University in Myers Park at noon on Friday, October 31, that will conclude with driving students to the voting station at CPCC. This started me on a quest to find other ways to volunteer to drive voters (no matter what their political preference) to the polls.

It is harder to find this than you might think. In fact, I could not find a local Republican site that gave a contact to do this. I would suggest going to www.meckgop.com or calling the NC Victory 2008 office (704-910-0696) to find out how to help specifically Republican voters.

The www.my.barackobama.com website (the official campaign site) does help you search for events in or near your ZIP code that included driving opportunities. I also found a site called www.obamacarpool.com that helps link up drivers and voters in Charlotte.

For nonpartisan driving, consider contacting your church. If I were a person looking for a ride, this is who I would call. You may be able to supply the missing link! You may also know an elderly neighbor who could use a ride.

Site comment: my computer is temporarily out of commission, and I am writing this on a Mac that does not appear to support cut-and-paste, so I can't provide the links. You'll have to type them in yourself! Sorry.

To do: Make your car an HOV as you go to vote!

No comments: