Monday, October 27, 2008

Warm fuzzies

I walked in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer this past weekend. This taught me a lot about the importance of support from the sidelines. Next time a walk comes through my neighborhood I will try a little harder, rather than being put out that roads are congested or closed. Here are some things people did that we walkers really appreciated:

1. JUST BEING THERE. Really, just having a group of random people (who may or may not have known anyone walking) cheering in a driveway was a real pick-me-up. Especially on day 2, I almost wanted to hug everyone who was out there (and I am not a hugger).

2. A sign or two. We loved the "Go walkers!" or "Thank you!" signs. Ditto the balloons.

3. People who dressed in pink. I loved seeing people with pink boas and funny hats out in their yards, cheering us on. Event-appropriate gear was great.

4. A treat or two. The Dunkin' Donuts stand in one driveway? AWESOME. The homemade cookies with pink M&Ms in them? AWESOME. The candy? AWESOME. Water? As it turned out on this walk we all had to carry water bottles, but I think for most walks this would be very much appreciated.

5. And finally, I appreciated my husband, who drove the route with my kids waving out the windows yelling "Go walkers!" He went way beyond the call of duty, but it made my day to see them cheering everyone on. Frankly, it meant more to me that he taught them the importance of support of everyone than it did that they were cheering for me personally.

To do: Be an athletic supporter

No comments: