Thursday, October 8, 2009

Huge Gigantic Very Big Book Sale

In an effort to pinch the pennies a little tighter, I have a new ritual on Sundays. I take the New York Times Sunday Book Review to the computer, and if there is a book that looks interesting, I request it from the library. The book is delivered to my library branch, I receive an email that it is there, and I go pick it up.

The Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County is having a HUGE book sale from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Thursday, October 15; Friday, October 16; and Saturday, October 17. They have over 30,000 books, with "98%" of them selling for under $5: fiction, non-fiction, children's and young adult books. Many of them came from the estate of Sophie Bruckner Greenfield (click here to read her story). Proceeds will help the library purchase new books and materials. It will be held in Ardsley Town Center.

Here is the map of Ardsley Town Center, if you have never been there:

View Larger Map

For more information about this event, click here. Or become a fan of the library on Facebook to get regular updates about upcoming library events.

On a related topic, the PLCMC announced a $804,100 grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to create a Job Help Center at the Main Library. Here's the article in the Charlotte Business Journal. I believe that this is one result coming out of the library's strategic plan put together last summer and fall. What a great idea!

To Do: Get ready to curl up with a good book as the weather grows cooler.

No comments: