Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Take a Stand for Public Education

I am intrigued by a relatively new organization here in Charlotte, called "Mecklenburg Citizens for Education," or MeckEd for short. Here is its mission statement: "Mecklenburg Citizens for Public Education is an independent, non-profit organization that mobilizes leadership, rallies resources, and engages the community so all CMS students will achieve significant, measurable academic success." MeckEd was founded in summer 2006 by combining Charlotte Advocates for Education, Education Program of the Chamber of Commerce, the CMS Public Schools Foundation, and the Citizens' Task Force on Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, all strong advocates of educational reform.

MeckEd is a member of a national association called the Public Education Network, comprising 80 organizations with similar goals and principles. You can learn more about the Public Education Network by clicking here.

What caught my eye was a blurb in the Charlotte Observer about a class that MeckEd is offering for people considering a run for School Board. This class, Leaders for School Board Workshop: School Finance, will be held on February 12 from 5 to 7:30 p.m. To register, follow this link. I am always glad to see how-to classes on anything and everything, from tiling a kitchen floor to running for school board!

On April 21 at 7:30 a.m., MeckEd will host a Community Breakfast Forum on Public Education featuring Pulitzer Prize Columnist Leonard Pitts. Keep watching the website for more information about this. I think that would be an interesting topic. (
In the interests of full disclosure I feel I should tell you that my children attend a private school. )

To Do: Run for the school board? Or, attend a breakfast forum. You choose! Visit www.mecked.org.



No comments: