Friday, December 5, 2008

Out with the old

If you are a person who gets the warm fuzzies from donating goods, or just wants them OUT of the house, AND you happen to be in a relationship, I can almost guarantee that the other half of the relationship is someone who wants every i dotted and t crossed.

This morning a reminder popped up on my calendar--National Kidney Foundation will have a truck in the neighborhood picking up donations today! (Of course they had also called last night to remind me, but never mind about that.) I raced upstairs to the box where we toss donations--it had some stuff in it, but I knew I could do better. In a flash I was in the kids' rooms, grabbing unused toys and books. Soon I had 4 bags on my doorstep.

My husband has trained me to write down what I am blithely giving away, so we can take the tax deduction. However, I am proud to say that I have done him one better. At www.bankrate.com you can find free tax valuation worksheets for most of your goods . The values provided are based on the Salvation Army's valuation guide. Click here to look at the Bank Rate worksheets. You can also download them in .pdf format to use NEXT time you clean out a closet. For a completely comprehensive list (although not in handy worksheet form), check out this online brochure from Goodwill Industries of Western Connecticut.

To Do: Preserve marital harmony AND clean out the clutter

No comments: