
Today I went to the Christ Church holiday bazaar. I visited a booth staffed by 2 women who are part of "Humans Helping Humans Organization," a cool 501(c)3 nonprofit started by 7 Charlotteans. The group makes micro-loans to people in developing countries. I could go into more detail, but you are better off going directly to their web site by clicking here.
Humans Helping Humans Organization (referred to as "h3o") is selling a "beCause calendar" for $20. The calendar has 365 days (marked "day 1," "day 2," etc., so you can start it on any day--New Year's, Lent, your birthday, etc.). Each day suggests a way to "help," whether it is a green idea, a suggestion for community-building, a simple suggestion to help a neighbor... you get the idea.
For every 15 calendars that are sold, a woman in Kenya receives a $75 micro credit loan to start her own business. $10 also goes to h3o.
It is a great stocking stuffer or hostess gift or birthday gift or Easter basket filler... . h3o is making the calendars available for school fundraising opportunities as well. Move over, Sally Foster!
I was really inspired by the enthusiasm of these women and their passion for helping others. What a great way to celebrate the season. Visit www.h3o.org to learn more about the program. To order calendars, go to www.becausecalendars.com. Update: you can also purchase beCause Calendars at The Paper Skyscraper on East Boulevard.
To Do: Deck the halls by "forwarding humanity, one day at a time!"
No comments:
Post a Comment