Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Slice of RAIN

One of my favorite parts of a meal to prepare is dessert, so I usually ignore dessert items in catalogs and stores (the ones in the Williams-Sonoma catalog look divine, but $65 for 9 cupcakes? Hello???). However, I am tempted to sign up for one of the pies that Something Classic is making to benefit RAIN (Regional AIDS Interfaith Network). There is a special website called "Slice of RAIN" with all of the information.

Your purchase of a pie helps RAIN provide direct services to those affected by HIV and AIDS. Like I did, you may think that AIDS is one of those passe (there should be an accent over the "e" in that word, but I don't know how to do that) diseases that are sadly affecting people in the Third World but managed here in the USA. In fact, AIDS is now the number-one cause of death for African-AMERICAN women ages 24-44. Additionally, 70% of those diagnosed with AIDS in Charlotte-Mecklenburg in 2007 were African-American. So, my point is that AIDS and HIV are still with us, even if your immediate next-door neighbor is not directly affected. Visit the RAIN website for more information: click here.

ANYWAY, back to the pies. Something Classic is preparing three types of pies, ranging from $20-25 per pie: Pumpkin Spice Pie with Candied Ginger; Apple, Cranberry, Currant Pie; Bittersweet Bourbon Brownie Pie (with or without walnuts). Click here to read the pie details.

You can pick up the pies on Monday, November 24, or Tuesday, November 25. There will be several pick-up locations: click here for the locations and times. If you don't need the pie, consider giving one to a friend or neighbor who is having a passel of relatives over for the holiday!

To Do: Visit SliceofRAIN.org and order a pie!

Related: Check out a related article in the NYTimes special "Giving" section by clicking here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I will order some pies! Yummy! Great gift idea, too. Who needs another tchotchke?
Erin