I hope that everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving. I feel like I have turned around and--surprise!--Advent has begun and Christmas is on its way.
Last week, the Charlotte Observer published a "Giving Guide" to connect readers to volunteer opportunities in the area. Click here to check out the guide. You can search by location, category of nonprofit (i.e., elderly, homeless, animal services, etc.), or specific needs. I found some interesting opportunities, including selling souvenirs at the Meineke Car Care Bowl (Community Health Services is a charity partner--click here to get the details--you get game tickets, too!).
My Sunday school class was also discussing ways to help during the holidays. One person suggested giving any unopened toys (maybe your child plays with everything they get for their birthday, but I certainly have a few unopened items sitting on shelves) to the Toys for Tots Foundation (click here for dropoff locations). Another person makes pies and delivers a piece of pie and a gift card to people who have to work on Christmas day. Someone else suggested leaving a really big tip, especially for a breakfast waitperson (my father also mentioned this a couple of weeks ago, to give credit where credit is due!).
If you have any tips or ideas to share, pass them along! I am particularly interested in creative "in honor of" gifts that people or companies can give in place of a gift like ham or wine.
To Do: Start thinking about ways to "pay it forward" this holiday season.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment