Sunday, January 3, 2010

Whatever It Takes

One of the most challenging issues facing Charlotte (and the rest of the United States) is the vast disparity between the "haves" and the "have-nots." Here are a few organizations and people who are trying new and different approaches.

  • I had never heard of the Harlem Children's Zone, but I recently had lunch with someone who had attended the HCZ conference and now it pops up everywhere I turn. Click here to visit the HCZ web site. The HCZ has a cradle-to-graduation approach to education, including "Baby College" for new mothers, a charter school, after school programs, paying for grades, and outreach counselors who literally go door-to-door to get everyone involved. The overarching principle is that if the majority of the neighborhood buys into the program, everyone will benefit. I am curious to read more about it, especially with 50% of CMS students receiving free or reduced-price lunches. What DOES it take to bring a person out of poverty? I have just started reading a book about the Harlem Children's Zone and its founder, Geoffrey Canada. Whatever It Takes is written by Paul Tough, a writer for the New York Times. Mecklenburg Citizens for Public Education (MeckEd) will be hosting a book discussion on this book on January 15. Email Spierce@mecked.org for more information and to RSVP. You can also go to the MeckEd website events page and scroll down to the last book discussion on "Whatever It Takes"; related reading matter is listed.
  • On a related topic, I also recommend "Class Matters," a program from the Urban Ministry Center, to anyone interested in making a difference. Led by Paul Hanneman and Wanda Anderson, this class helps you understand how your viewpoint may not be the same as someone from a different background. You can contact Paul Hanneman at the Urban Ministry Center to find out how to schedule the class for your organization (or to find out if there is an upcoming class that you can join).
  • I also recently read an article in the New York Times about microfinancing. In addition to the well-known Kiva, the piece referenced a nonprofit called Modest Needs that helps you provide one-time grants to people in the United States who need help paying a bill, getting training to return to work, etc. It also allows you to help a small non-profit pay a bill and get a solid footing so it can prove itself to bigger funders.

To Do: Read Whatever It Takes. Attend "Class Matters." What do YOU think it takes?


No comments: