Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Purple Martin and the power of organization

Last night I went to the launching of a new Charlotte company, The Purple Martin & Co. The Purple Martin helps you create a Family Handbook to compile all important data in one place. The handbooks are beautiful binders with calendars, important phone numbers, family schedules, contact info for every service provider you use, etc.

Lori Martin--possibly the most organized person I've ever met--is the brains behind this venture. She is mother of three and in her former life worked for an investment bank. I first discovered Lori's gifts when I asked her to help me throw a class party with activities for the kids and she showed up with a completely detailed plan with everything neatly organized and stored in bins and boxes! No fool I, I tapped her to help a teacher organize his classroom when the academic dean discreetly asked if I knew anyone with those skills.

Lori created her family binder after she was unexpectedly in the hospital and realized that just having the preschool number on the fridge and the insurance card on the counter was not enough information for her family. Click here to read her story.

Lori will work with you at any level--you might be a very organized person and just want a pretty binder and a few suggestions about what to include. On the other hand, you might be someone whose stuff is scattered all over the place and have no idea where to begin. Click here to read about things you might put in your book.

I think her services are particularly handy for someone who has grandparents or a nanny who help out--these books have all the info they need at their fingertips. Lori offers a yearlong updating service as well, so when soccer schedules end and swim team begins, you can adjust your book accordingly.

Lori is donating a percentage of her profits to The Relatives, a co-ed, 9-bed emergency shelter for runaway, homeless, and other youth in crisis from ages 7-17 run by Alexander Youth Network. What a great way to give back to the community.

For more information on the Purple Martin & Co., check out Lori's website by clicking here.

To Do: Get organized, be stylish, help youth.

No comments: