The Mecklenburg County Parks and Rec Department coordinates so many programs that slip right past me. Last weekend I volunteered for the Senior Games, which is part of the US Olympics program and feeds from the county level into the state competition and on to the nationals. Reader, you too would have been amazed with these athletes, ages 55 and up. I helped at the long jump (both standing and running), and the athletes ranged from those who had never tried before to those who had had track scholarships to state universities. One woman did the 5,000-meter walk and looked like she barely broke a sweat. What an inspiring day. Events ranged from croquet to track-and-field to badminton and basketball. There is also an arts competition in the Senior Games. If you are 55 or older (or know people who are), I encourage you to check out the Mecklenburg County Senior Games by clicking here. If you want information on the national program, click here.
The volunteers were really fun, too--I worked with one young woman who had run track at UNC and was now volunteering through Hands-On Charlotte; a woman who used to volunteer through Wachovia and continues her commitment even though Wachovia no longer sponsors the event; and a woman who heard about the games through the Marion Diehl Senior Center and came to help. Additionally, there was a group of senior cheerleaders who stopped by (I think on the way to their competition, although I could be wrong about that) and chanted some cheers for some jumpers. Lots of good fun and totally different from the people I see every day.
Today, while on the Parks and Rec website (who needs full-time employment when you can search the web for activities for other people to do?), I noticed that Coke is sponsoring a Dads-and-Kids 6-week Kickball League at Park Road Park. There is a "kickoff" event this Saturday (May 2), and the season starts on May 16. I thought this was a cool idea. Here's the Coke link and here is the Parks and Rec link.
Finally, there is a Scavenger Hunt on the Little Sugar Creek Greenway this Sunday (May 3). Here is the blurb:
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation and Charlotte Sports Cycling host a scavenger hunt on the Little Sugar Creek Greenway to educate and encourage people to use the greenway as a means of pedestrian transportation and exercise. There are many daily errands and tasks you can accomplish on the bike using the greenway and neighborhood streets. Join us for this adventure on May 3rd from 1pm to 3pm. All you need to bring is your bike and a bag to carry your prizes. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Not recommended for children with training wheels.
You can link to the site by clicking here.
To Do: Check out the Mecklenburg County Parks and Rec website often for fun activities for you and yours.
Thursday, April 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment